Home Care Packages
The Australian Government funds the Home Care Package Program. A Home Care Package is intended to support you in optimising your health and wellbeing per your needs, goals, and preferences and help you live safely and independently at home and in the community.
There are 4 Home Care Package levels. Each reflects the different level of care and support people need :
Level 1: basic care needs
Level 2: low level care needs
Level 3: intermediate care needs
Level 4: high level care needs
SereneCare offers all Home Care Package levels, and with our experience, professionalism and knowledge, we will ensure your supports and services meet your individual needs, preferences and goals.
What is included with a SereneCare Home Care Package (HCP)?
- Allocation of a tertiary qualified and highly skilled Care Manager who has the required knowledge and expertise to access the services and goods you need to support you at home and in your local area;
- The choice of two Home Care Package options: Fully managed by SereneCare or Self-managed by you;
- A fully managed Home Care Package provides you with unlimited support from your Care Manager, who will help organise all your care and equipment needs.
- A self-managed Home Care Package allows you to coordinate your care and services with minimal guidance, but always knowing your Care Manager is available if needed.
- An annual assessment and care plan review (at a minimum) to ensure your care services and supports continue to meet your needs. This may occur more frequently if your circumstances change or you return home from a hospital stay.
- Development of a care plan in partnership with you. Your care plan will itemise the care and support you receive and is ever-evolving. It will change over time as your care needs change.
- Coordination of your services and purchase of equipment. The amount of support provided is dependent on the level of support and care management you choose. Once your care plan has been developed for a fully managed package, your Care Manager will continue to organise your home supports and any community activities, equipment, and allied health services you need. If you self-manage your package, your Care Manager will assist in the initial set up of your services only. You will then self-manage your support needs, accessing your Care Manager’s additional assistance by purchasing extra care management time.
- Access to reputable service providers. We have completed the groundwork for you. Insurances, training and police checks are confirmed with all our service providers. If the service provider is unable to, or not willing to provide the information required, then SereneCare will not enter a service agreement with them. Client safety is our first obligation, and we will never encourage the use of services without the required checks.
SereneCare is dedicated to helping you maximise your Home Care Package funding, to ensure you receive the care and supports you need. We only charge the required Package Management and Care Management fees. SereneCare does not charge Home Care Package entry fees, basic daily care fees or exit fees. Additional information on fees and charges can be found by reviewing our
SereneCare Price List – Home Care Packages.
What services can I purchase on a Home Care Package?
Services that assist your health and wellbeing
- Personal care
- Nursing care
- Allied health services
- Meal preparation
- In-home respite
- Welfare checks
Services to keep you safe in your home
- Household tasks and cleaning
- Minor home maintenance
- Minor home modifications e.g., grab rails and ramps
- Equipment and assistive technology
Services to keep you connected to your community
- Escorts to appointments
- Social support groups
- Day and overnight respite
- Diversional Therapy
How to apply for a Home Care Package?
- Register with My Aged Care – call 1800 200 422. My Aged Care is open Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 8 pm and Saturdays, 10 am to 2 pm. They are closed Sundays and public holidays.
- If you are eligible, you will have an assessment with your local Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS). You will then be informed via mail if you have been approved for a package and what level. You will then go into the national queue where you will wait to be assigned a package.
- Prepare for your Home Care Package. You will be notified by mail approximately three months before being assigned a package. This will allow you to research providers who can manage your package. Remember, we are all different. Do your research, ask questions and remember to write answers down. This can be a very confusing and overwhelming process.
- Choose your provider. Once you have confirmed that you have been assigned a package, you will have 56 days to sign an agreement with a provider. You can ask for an additional 28-day extension if you are finding this process too daunting.
- Enter into a Home Care Service Agreement. Once you have chosen your service provider, it is time to sign a contract. You can then start organising the support that you need at home.
SereneCare offers Government funded Home Care Packages, aged care navigation assistance and personalised care services to senior Australians and their supporting carers.